CEF Privacy Notice
The Website www.cef.co.uk is operated by City Electrical Factors (we", "us" or "our") and we are a "data controller" for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679. This means that we are responsible for, and control the processing of, your personal information.
We take your privacy very seriously and we ask that you read this Policy carefully as it contains important information on:
- the personal information we collect about you;
- what we do with your information; and
- who your information might be shared with
What type of personal information we collect
Personal information means any information about an individual from which the person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
We collect personal information about you when you register with us online, contact us or when you submit a response to an online questionnaire on our website.
- Identity Data includes first name, last name, username or similar identifier, title, data of birth.
- Contact Data includes billing address, delivery address, email address and telephone numbers
- Transaction Data includes details about payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us.
- Usage Data includes information about how use our website, product and services.
- Marketing and Communications Data includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us.
- Technical Data includes internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, and other technology on the devices you use to access the website.
- Profile Data includes your username and password, purchases or orders made by you, your interests, preferences, feedback and survey responses.
We may collect personal information about you from other sources (such as credit reference agencies), which we will add to the information we already hold about you in order to help us improve our products and services and help us access the initial credit limit to be applied to your account and as part of our annual review of your credit status.
Please note that we do not collect or hold any personal information in relation to your payment information, such as credit/debit card details or any ‘Special Categories’ of personal information about you (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health, and genetic and biometric data). Nor do we collect any information about criminal convictions and offences.
How we collect your personal information and why we have it
Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you and we will use it for one or more of the following reasons:
- to identify you and manage any accounts you hold with us;
- to process your order and obtain payment;
- to detect and prevent fraud;
- to carry out security vetting;
- to conduct research, statistical analysis and behavioural analysis;
- to customise our website and its content to your particular preferences; - see 'Cookies and Tracking' section below;
- to notify you of any changes to our website or to our products services that may affect you;
- to improve our product and services; and
- to give to companies and organisations whose products you purchase through the website.
- to let you know about other products or services that may be of interest to you; see 'Marketing' section below;
Generally, we do not rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your personal information although we will get your consent before sending third party direct marketing communications to you via email or text message. You have the right to withdraw consent to marketing at any time by contacting us.
Purposes for which we will use your personal information
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the legal bases we rely on for processing your personal information are:
|Purpose of processing||Our legal basis|
||Performance of a contract with you - we use your personal information in order to meet our obligations under our contract with you, keep you up to date with information about our services, and to respond to your queries.|
|Send you information about products and services, including promotions, exclusive offers, discounts, vouchers, free gifts, information about products and events;||Legitimate interest - we use your personal information to send you this information. You have the right to object to processing of this nature and will always be given the opportunity to do so.|
|Review your past purchases and viewing history on our website to provide you with special offers or to tailor your experience online;||Legitimate interest - we use your personal information to provide you with other and to tailor your experience when using our online services.|
||Legitimate interest - we use your personal information to help us deliver the best quality of service to you and all of our customers.|
||Legitimate interest - we use your personal information to deliver you a tailored experience when using such digital services, to help us understand the effectiveness of our advertising, and to make sure you see adverts that are most relevant to you.|
|Provide, enhance and personalise your experience on our digital services provided from our web and mobile portals.||Legitimate interest - we use your personal information to deliver you a tailored experience when using our digital services.|
|Carry out security checks and identity checks to protect against fraudulent transactions and to prevent and detect criminal activity, such as money laundering;||Legitimate interest - we use your personal information to protect against unlawful activities and comply with laws applicable to us. In some cases, we may also be under a legal obligation to disclose your personal information (for example, to law enforcement agencies). Furthermore, if you are from a public authority, we use your personal information on the basis that it is necessary in the public interest or in exercising official authority for is to prevent fraud and money laundering.|
Please note that we may process your personal data without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.
We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, SMS or other electronic messaging services, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
We use third parties to carry out certain activities on our behalf that involve the processing of personal information, particularly a third-party service provider to send promotional material via postal mail. We will get your express opt-in consent before we share personal data with any third party for marketing purposes.
You can opt out of us or any third parties sending you marketing messages at any time by sending an email to [email protected] or via the unsubscribe link at the bottom of emails we send to you. Please see 'The right to ask us to stop contacting you with direct marketing' below for further information.
Where you opt out of receiving these marketing messages, this will not apply to personal data provided to us as a result of a product/service purchase or other transactions.
Cookies and Tracking
- a) recognise you whenever you visit this website (this speeds up your access to the website as you do not have to log in each time);
- b) obtain information about your preferences, online movements and use of the internet;
- c) carry out research and statistical analysis to help improve our content, products and services and to help us better understand our customer requirements and interests;
- d) target our marketing and advertising campaigns more effectively by providing interest-based advertisements that are personalised to your interests; and
- e) make your online experience more efficient and enjoyable.
Description of cookies
The table below provides some information on the cookies which we use on our website
|Cookie Name||What it does||Why is it used||How long it lasts|
|Customer_credentials||Unique session key to identify you||So you don’t need to sign in on every page.||Until the browser session closes.|
|Stock_enq_address||Stores your collection store||To check stock for your collection store||Until the browser session closes.|
|_cfduid||Identifies a user to Cloudflare, our security provider.||If Cloudflare challenges a user It stores the acknowledgement of that challenge in this.||Persistent|
|_hjIncludedInSample||Site Analytics||To visualize how the site is being used.||Until the browser session closes|
|_utma||Keeps track of the number of times a visitor has been to the site||To visualize how the site is being used.||Persistent|
|_utmc||Logs the amount of time the visitor has been on the site||To visualize how the site is being used||Until the browser session closes|
|_utmz||Records where the visitor has come from||To visualize how the site is being used||6 months|
|_session_id||Unique session key to identify you||So we can make sure your visit on the site is not hijacked.||Until the browser session closes|
|Conversion Linker||Aids in the collection of conversions for DoubleClick||Used for tracking PPC performance||90 days|
|_ga||Keeps track of the number of times a visitor has been to the site||To visualise how the site is being used.||Persistent|
|_fbp||This cookie will help deliver our advertising to people who have already visited our website when they are on Facebook or a digital platform powered by Facebook Advertising.||To identify visitors who have been on CEF Online for remarketing purposes, whether to visitors who made a purchase, or to visitors who didn't make a purchase. For further information on this please visit https://www.facebook.com/policies/cookies/.||12 months|
|_gci_au||Used by Google AdSense for experimenting with advertisement efficiency across websites using their services.||To identify visitors who have been on CEF Online for remarketing purposes, whether to visitors who made a purchase, or to visitors who didn't make a purchase. For further information on this please visit https://support.google.com/adspolicy/answer/143465?hl=en-GB&ref_topic=7012636.||12 months|
|hidecatmodal||Hides the catalogue modal pop up on page load||To stop the modal popping up on each page||Until browser session closes|
|hidecookiebanner||Remembers your acceptance for the cookie preferences.||To allow the user to dismiss the cookie preference message.||Until the browser session closes.|
|hideaccountbar||Remembers the preference to hide the 'use your account' section.||Allows the user to dismiss and hide the reminder to sign into an account.||One month.|
|_clck||Persists the Clarity User ID, unique to that site, on the browser. This ensures that behavior in subsequent visits to the same site will be attributed to the same user ID.||This is used to compile statistical reports and heatmaps for the website owner.||12 months.|
|_clsk||Connects multiple page views by a user into a single Clarity session recording.||This is used to compile statistical reports and heatmaps for the website owner.||Until the browser session closes|
|CLID||Identifies the first time Clarity saw this user on any site using Clarity.||This is used to compile statistical reports and heatmaps for the website owner.||12 months.|
|ANONCHK||Indicates whether MUID is transferred to ANID, a cookie used for advertising. Clarity does not use ANID and so this is always set to 0.||This is used to compile statistical reports and heatmaps for the website owner.||1 day.|
|MR||Indicates whether or not to refresh MUID.||This is used to compile statistical reports and heatmaps for the website owner.||1 week.|
|MUID||Set by Microsoft as a unique user ID. Enables user tracking by synchronising the ID across many Microsoft domains.||This is used to compile statistical reports and heatmaps for the website owner.||12 months.|
|SM||Used in synchronising the MUID across Microsoft domains.||This is used to compile statistical reports and heatmaps for the website owner.||Until the browser session closes.|
How to turn off cookies
If you do not want to accept cookies, you can change your browser settings so that cookies are not accepted. If you do this, please be aware that you may lose some of the functionality of this website. For further information about cookies and how to disable them please go to the Information Commissioner’s webpage on cookies: https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/online/cookies/.
CEF Mobile Device APP
Although no cookies are used to operate the CEF Mobile Device App, users should be aware that an element of their device storage or memory will be used in order to store:
- The app itself
- An authorisation token - This is not identifiable to individuals
- The current basket and it's preferences
- Account number so you are not required to sign in each time
By downloading and using the app you consent to the use of your storage in this way. If you do not agree with the conditions detailed, then the app will not be usable.
How long we will use your personal information
We shall retain your information whilst you remain a customer, should you not trade and there is no good business reason to retain your information we will delete your information one year after the month of the final sale or on receipt of your request to be deleted whichever is the sooner, unless we are required by law to retain your personal information for a longer period.
Disclosures of your personal information
Where necessary to fulfil our obligations to you, we may pass your personal information to third parties where this is necessary for the functioning of our business and the purposes set out in the table 'Purposes for which we will use your personal information'. We may share your personal information with:
b) New Relic
We use live chat software on our website, this is provided by Click4Assistance, a third party UK based Software Company. Information regarding how the data is processed and stored can be viewed here
To protect your personal information, we have policies and procedures in place to make sure that only authorized personnel can access the personal information, that personal information is handled and stored in a secure and sensible manner and all systems that can access the personal information have the necessary security measures in place. To accomplish this, all employees, contractors and sub-contractors have roles and responsibilities defined in those policies and procedures.
To make sure all employees, contractors and sub¬contractors understand these responsibilities they are provided with the necessary training and resources they need.
In addition to these operational measures, we also use a range of technologies and security systems to reinforce the policies.
To make sure that these measures are suitable, vulnerability tests are run regularly. Audits to identify areas of weakness and non-compliance are routinely scheduled. Additionally, all areas of the organisation are constantly monitored and measured to identify problems and issues before they arise.
Your data protection rights
Under data protection law, you have rights in relation to your personal information including:
- The right to be informed You have the right to be informed about the collection and use of your personal data.
- The right to correct and update the personal information we hold about you If the personal information we hold about you is out of date, incomplete or incorrect, you can inform us and we will ensure that it is updated.
- The right to have your personal information erased If you feel that we should no longer be using your personal information or that we are illegally using your personal information, you can request that we erase the personal information we hold. When we receive your request, we will confirm whether the personal information has been deleted or tell you the reason why it cannot be deleted.
- Your right to restriction of processing You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
- The right to ask us to stop contacting you with direct marketing You have the right to request that we stop contacting you with direct marketing. You can click the unsubscribe button at the bottom of any of our marketing emails or you can email us at [email protected]
- The right to access information we hold about you At any point you can contact us to request the personal information we hold about you as well as why we have that personal information, who has access to the personal information and where we got the personal information. Once we have received your request, we will respond within 30 days.
- The right to object to processing of your data You have the right to request that we stop processing your personal information. Upon receiving the request, we will contact you to tell you if we are able to comply or if we have legitimate grounds to continue. If personal information is no longer processed, we may continue to hold your personal information to comply with your other rights.
- The right to data portability You have the right to request that we transfer your personal information to another controller. Once we have received your request we will comply where it is feasible to do so. Our security procedures mean that we may request proof of identity before we are able to disclose your personal information to you or comply with other requests, this is to maintain the security of your information. in such cases your response will be necessary to exercise this right.
No fee usually required
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we could refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
Time limit to respond
If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
If you wish to make a request, please contact us at:
City Electrical Factors Limited
Janet Nash House
How to complain
If you have any queries about this privacy notice, need further information or wish to lodge a complaint about the use of your personal information you can use the details below to contact CEF.
City Electrical Factors Limited
Janet Nash House
You can also complain to the ICO if you are unhappy with how we have used your personal data. We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the ICO so please contact us in the first instance. The ICO's address:
Information Commissioner's Office
We may change this Policy from time to time. You should check this policy notice occasionally to ensure that you are aware of the most recent version that will apply each time you access the website.